Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 May 2007 10:06:59 -0700
From:         PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Scarlett's New Battery Update ;-)

So far the new battery has worked beautifully, but installing it was a bear for me. No matter how I positioned the terminal adapter on the new battery, it would always stick out. Another possible option was to change the terminal on the cable, but I wasn't up for that, yet. http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy/0501071817a.jpg

Here's how I left it: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy/0501071844.jpg I bought a rubber bathtub mat at the 99-Cent store, cut it, and used it to cover the spot that stuck out beyond the orange cover. There was a hole in the upper left corner. I figured it was for ventilation, so I made sure not to block it. While I was working on the battery I used the mat as a safety shield.

When I finished, I didn't remember where to put this part: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy/MysteryBatteryPart.jpg I could see how the holes lined up with the holes on the lower side of the battery cavity, but couldn't figure out what to do with the little clip near the hole on the upper right side of the picture. I'm SURE it wasn't screwed into those holes because I would have definitely remembered taking out all the screws.

As an incidental, whenever I start the van, I hear a high-pitched, low volume sound for about 30 -60 seconds. The van runs beautifully, and I don't notice any problems at all. The sound will go away by itself within 30-60 seconds, or if I press the accelerator. Is this sort of thing normal with Westies, or should I be getting something checked?

I just discovered that I need to replace a front turn signal bulb. I hope this won't take me 5 days like the battery did! (LOL) Thanks to all for being so patient with me. I used to do all minor maintenance on my vehicles about 20 yrs ago. I've done full tuneups, replaced alternators, installed stereos, etc, but nada since then. I'm sure I'll "come around" soon!

Patti 1990 Westy Automatic everything!