Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 May 2007 17:12:11 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: An upgrade for a more efficent A/C system?

Vanagon ACs is the 2nd biggest topic (after tires)....

There are some that state that it is inefficient. A properly working (late model...aka 86 and later) Vanagon will cool the interior of your Vanagon. Even with a dark colored vanagon without tinting on the window.

On my 1986 passenger Vanagon, the AC (R12) when I got it was so efficient, I could never use it at full speed (not without a coat on). When I bought it (in Southern California) I travelled across the country to Washington DC, via Phoenix, Houston, New Orleans, Tampa, and then up the east coast. Outside of the Mojave and Death Valley, I don't think you'll find too many other areas in the US with higher temps.

Throughout this trip the only problem I had was that the drip lines in the back weren't draining the condensation fast enough, and a sudden stop got me a VERY cold shower.

My 91 Westy's was not functioning when I got it. It simply needed a recharge, and then worked great.

If the vanagon's AC is converted to R134, there are several changes that need to be made. Not the least of which is flushing the old oil out of the system But also, more importantly for cooling, is to change the evaporator nozzle(?) to accomodate the different refrigerant. Pulling the evaporator on a Vanagon is not a trivial task, so this little step is rarely performed in a conversion.

Hydrocarbon refrigerants (I use Duracool) can give the same cooling capacity as R12, in a system that has already been converted to R134 (necessary for legality). All my Vanagons now use Duracool.

If your Vanagon's AC doesn't cool properly, then it needs work.

Westy's, due to their nature have different problems. Many folks expect a car AC system to blow cool air in their face. Even if the ambient temperature is much higher than comfortable, this method gives the appearence of a "colder" AC system. The Westy, instead, cools the ambient air (because there is no ductwork to allow it to blow on your face.) This may take a few minutes to drop the interior down from 100+ degrees (in the summer, my interior might be 130 F or more, if it has been sitting in the sun.) The Vanagon's windows also mean that you'll get lots of sunlight on your legs (contributing to a feeling of heat, even when the interior temperature is down in the 70's.)

I don't have any experience with pre 86 Vanagon AC units (Behr, or overhead dealer style). Because they blow in your face, you'll likely "feel" cooler (your rear seat passengers won't though.)

So why isn't YOUR AC working? Most common issue is likely a leak in the refrigerant lines, evaporator or condensor. The lines are longer than in most vehicles. But you may have other issues. For instance, is the thermometer setting working on yours? I've had to replace it on one of my vanagons. This is the "switch" that turns on the AC, but also sets it's cooling temperature. It is essentially a variable ohm resistor. if it isn't working, the AC system may thing it doesn't have to engage your clutch on the compressor (and hence no cooling.) It's a simple thing to check (and simple to replace if yours is bad.)