Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 May 2007 21:18:16 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Friday ramblings about a 66 Bus with A/C
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

"Installed a pointless ignition system ....."

Why bother?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenneth Wilford" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 6:17 PM Subject: Friday ramblings about a 66 Bus with A/C

I just wanted to share my current project with you folks. It is a 66 VW bus that is getting a mechanical freshening up along with a new aftermarket A/C system. The van was one the customer bought from Texas and it is in great shape for a van of it's age. Very little rust and we have already dealt with most of it. Got the rebuilt engine from Boston Bob and it runs great. Installed a pointless ignition system (Fireball by Crane Cams) and the new engine is a 1600cc instead of the stock 1500. New S&S exhaust system. Did away with the heater boxes because the Bus is going to live in the Bahamas once it is done. The customer has a vacation home there on an island where the largest engine you can have in a vehicle is a 2000cc air cooled. It is a small place and most folks scoot around on Golf Carts.

Anyway, the A/C system is pretty neat. I got it from www.aircooled.net and it isn't fully installed yet so I can give you a report on how good it works. The evaporator mounts to the bottom of the parcel tray in the front and the condensor mounts in the center underneath. The compressor is a tiny one that mounts to the engine with some pretty creative mounts. It is only supposed to take a little over 1 hp to run it. The system uses R134a.

It has been an interesting project and I have enjoyed doing it. Almost all the fun of restoring an old bus but with someone else footing the bill. The interior was already restored by the PO, as well as the outside. The original engine only has 85k miles on it and ran great, but the customer wanted to be sure of no problems so he opted for a rebuild. If anyone wants a good running 1500cc engine let me know.

It is a totally different and cool experience driving a bus vs. driving a Vanagon. I am not trading in my Vanagons any time soon let me tell you that up front. But driving that bus, everyone you pass it looking at you and smiling when they see it. It could be addicting to drive something with that much cool factor (just to town once and a while).

I guess that is my ramblings for the day. I hope you folks have a great weekend.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242