Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 May 2007 22:23:55 EDT
From:         Jeff Ensing <Kjmmensing@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: shivering van.....
Comments: To: groups.florian@GMAIL.COM

In a message dated 5/5/2007 9:33:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, groups.florian@GMAIL.COM writes:

I just took my van for a first testdrive after having it in the driveway for weeks and months of sitting and upgrading, which included a subie conversion. in the process i installed a new clutch and had the axles out. I will post a review of all this later. Now to the problem.

the drive went fine for the first 1000feet - then a weird sound - the van starts shivering very unpleasantly, feels like we are loosing a wheel. coasted slowly back into my driveway. suspected cv axles, since i had them out and regreased them while doing the conversion, and sure enough they were absolutely tight - not moving in any direction at all (normally they should move a little to the right and left, shouldnt they? jacked up one wheel and everything was back to normal in terms of movement. what happened? is this really the axles or did i do something to the transmission? any comments highly appreciated. I am kind of in a bind as i promised my wife a two week roadtrip to new mexiko starting on friday (aaaah, yeah, I am in berkeley, so thats a few miles....) Sorry to those who are also on the subie list as I crossposted this since i have to solve this problem within a few days. But I felt that this is probably not an engine issue but something i did wrong with the drivetrain.

thanks flo

Hi Flo Try swapping sides on them one is longer. I think the left but cant remember for sure.

Jeff E. Atlanta , Ga. 87' Westy "weekender" 91' GL "Drop dead red" ( now living in Canada with Blair )