Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 May 2007 10:20:46 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 5 May 2007 to 6 May 2007 - Special issue
              (#2007-466)

>Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 01:49:07 -0700 >From: Thomas Pfrommer <pfrommer@PHAS.UBC.CA> >Subject: Re: oil pressure > >Hi Jonathan, >thanks for your reply .. line bore? I apologize for my ignorance, but >could you please explain to me what you mean? >Thanks >Thomas > > Thomas,

It's actually "align" bore. The case is bolted together and all the crankshaft journals are measured for proper alignment, size, and ovality. If all is OK, then you're good to go. If not, then the case gets align bored so that all the journals are perfectly round and aligned. This then requires an oversized (O.D.) main bearing. The type 1 case (which the 2.1 WBX is almost a clone of) *always* required align-boring, whereas the 2.0L aircooled rarely did/do, and I don't have enough experience with a WBX case to know its' likelihood. Ben or Bob could give you a better idea. Clearly if you are using standard main bearings, the case was not align bored. I would question the shop to make sure they checked it for align bore and journal ovality. I'm also puzzled that you say the shop "machined" the crankshaft. You *cannot* use standard bearings if the crank was 'machined'. Even it they just polished the crank (with the number of miles it likely has on it), it's very likely your bearing clearances are out of spec. The 2.1L's are also notorious for distorting the crank end rod bearing journals (they go oval). If these weren't checked, and verified to be good, you really have no idea what your bearing clearances are. My advice would be to first put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the system and verify the actual oil pressure. If you find it is really low, since you've changed the pressure relief spring, then there's only three options...oil pump, main bearings, rod bearing, or a combination thereof. Good luck,

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin)