Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 May 2007 10:29:59 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying a vanagon in Europe
Comments: To: Mike Kozak <kozakmike1@HOTMAIL.COM>

How many weeks & can you get a van insured & licensed in your name if you are NOT an EU resident are the issues.

The cost to RORO YOUR van over and back is about $1500 each way (from east coast). Buying and then selling a van in europe will cost you EASILY $3,000.

ALSO you will be buying a van of UNKNOWN mechanical quality, budget several thousand for immediate repairs and budget a week or 2 at a mechanic (who may or may not speak your language)

Why not rent a van?? depending on how many weeks you plan to be in europe. Last summer my wife and I rented a Diesel Eurovan camper ( "marc peters" <marc@mobylhome.nl> ) for 11 weeks ( april, may & june = off season) for the SAME cost as to RORO our van over and back.

If you plan on being in europe for several months, I will srongly suggest that you ship your van over ( http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/index.jsp ) and get insurance from ( http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/ ) you can get it ready for the trip and then you have a van that you KNOW!

IF you are going for a shorter trip, then think about renting from Marc Peters.

If you STILL insist on buying a van, then try: ebay.fr, ebay.gr & ebay.it etc. also really good sites are: http://www.mobile.de/ & http://www.autoscout24.de/ & http://www.busman.be/

IF you need help in buying your european van, I can HIGHLY recommend both Mike Plompen at http://www.busman.be/ and Mark Peters at http://www.mobylhome.nl Both speak English. Marc helped me purchase my German van last year.

Malcolm

____________________________________________________________________________________ TV dinner still cooling? Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV. http://tv.yahoo.com/