Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 May 2007 12:51:37 -0700
From:         PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: westfalia-enterprises.com....anyone heard of them???
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

I live about 4 miles from westfalia-enterprises.com. I stopped by unannounced twice, and on both occasions the mechanic showed me around and gave me some general info about Westies. I saw the Blue diesel pictured on the website nearly gutted in 2 stages of restoration, as well as various other Westies in the process of restoration.

After that I called and spoke to Kevin. He asked me to make an appointment so he could show me the vans in more detail and give me pricing information, so I did. He was very cordial and patient and didn't pressure me at all. He didn't even ask me for my phone number. He showed me a fully loaded 1990 stick-shift with 63,000 original miles on it. I was considering a manual, so he let me drive it. It sounded good and drove very smoothly, but it made me remember having told myself 20 yrs ago that I would NEVER own a stick shift again! At the time, Kevin had nothing else fully loaded. The nice thing was that he didn't try to convince me to buy something without AC, power locks or power windows.

He told me that his prices did not include any warranty, but for locals he would stand by his Westies, and offer repairs and support at little or no charge. However, I didn't see any written materials expressing that. I do appreciate the time Kevin and his mechanic spent with me. What I learned from them was very helpful when I eventually test-drove and bought my fully loaded, automatic "Scarlett" in an equally good condition (mechanic certified) from a private party at a much lower cost. I would just not feel comfortable paying a high price to a dealer without any kind of written warranty whatsoever. Although GoWesty does provide warranties, they also charge from $10-$20,000 per vehicle more than Kevin, and even $30-$40,000 higher than from a private party! (And that means lots more sales tax, too!)

Although I have nothing bad to say about my own face-to-face experience with Kevin, I'm certainly not minimizing Jake's extremely negative experience on the telephone. Patti **************************** On 5/7/07, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > > I see they're still showing the 1987 Weekender that was offered twice on > the > same page on the old site. > > I agree with Suds that if they can say a Weekender has seating for seven, > they're not really sweating the details. > > Caveat emptor > > Jake > > On 5/7/07, Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > As well as having their testimonials look like they were written by > > the same person. > > (yes, it's lunch break :P) > > > > Sudhir > > > > On 5/7/07, Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Well, that certainly says a lot right there. Who on earth would think > it > > so > > > terrible that you would want to see some pictures. > > > > > > I also notice that there isn't a price to be found on their site - oh > > and > > > they only purchase vans with no rust. > > > > > > > > > On 5/7/07, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > > They used to have a different name, which escapes me right now, but > > the > > > > name > > > > Kevin Soroudi rings a bell. > > > > > > > > I called him when I was looking for a van and he told me to get on a > > plane > > > > and come down. When I told him that I would appreciate it if he > could > > > > email > > > > me some photos before I made that commitment he shouted that he > didn't > > > > have > > > > any f***ing time to waste on f***cking photographs and to f*** off > and > > > > quit > > > > wasting his time! > > > > > > > > Needless to say, I bought Dixie from a completely different source. > > > > > > > > Just one person's experience. > > > > > > > > Jake > > > > > > > > On 5/7/07, Sharon Mendonca <bobonsharo@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > Strange that westfalia-enterprises.com last "update" was December > > 21, > > > > > 2006!! Sounds like it's not an active site?? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Jake > > > > 1984 Vanagon GL > > > > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > > > > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > Thanks, > > > > > > Jeff > > > 90' Carat (It's Blue, It's Beautiful, It's naked inside - IT'S ALIVE!) > > > > 86' (We call this one Parts) > > > 85' GL (Sidelined and feeling neglected) > > > > > > > > > -- > Jake > 1984 Vanagon GL > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > www.crescentbeachguitar.com >