Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 May 2007 15:33:25 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Was 1984 VW Vanagon Camper Now GTO

>GTO was the designation that Ferrari used and that was indeed what it meant. >[I think O was Omligato but that's homologated was what it meant] Even >though they only produce 53 or 54 [Ferrari doesn't believe in keeping >records] > >Then Pontiac borrowed it, and GT 2+2. Don't know of anyone else who used it >actually. > >GTO run about $10 million right now. > >I don't.

Mitsubishi sold its Galant GTO coupe in the mid1970s; that was the last generation of RWD Galants.

Of course the recent "Pontiac GTO" has been an Australian-designed-and-made Holden Monaro (coupe version of the Commodore sedan)... the Commodore was based on an Opel design. Heck, not based... it was just a MODIFIED Opel... but the new Commodore is an all-new design, and the sedan will be marketed in the US with GTO badges. Same cars were sold in the Middle East as Chevrolet Lumina and in South Africa also.

Fortunately for US buyers, the new car will apparently be sold with Aussie-market suspension... the competition won't know what's hit them. -- Regards Andrew