Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 May 2007 20:21:37 -0700
From:         James V <tornadored@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Help From the Road in Sedona/Flagstaff

I'm on a solo road trip with my 88 Westy, currently in Sedona, AZ. Unfortunately a couple of problems have come up:

Problem 1. I believe my Auto Stop propane valve may be bad. After running empty, I took it to three different stations, none of which were able to get it to fill. I haven't had this problem before, and the attendants seem to be doing everything correct - attach hose, turn on gas, open bleeder.

Can anyone provide any info on how/where to get this repaired ASAP? (I don't want to eat peanut butter sandwiches for the rest of my journey!) I seem to recall that replacing the valve with a different type is the usual solution. I have some basic tools with me, but a shop would probably be better. The guy at Ace Hardware suggested Ferrell Gas in Flagstaff.

Problem 2. One of the coolant pipe flanges broke and I patched it by cutting away the hose and corroded pipe flange, and splicing in new hose, using one of those plastic couplers. (this has worked for me before) I was at a relative's house at the time, so I was able to get someone to help me bleed it when I was done.

While the seal around the coolant pipe has remained good, I'm having a hard time getting a good seal around the coupler - it keeps leaking, and I can't figure out why. I've doubled up on the clamps and it seems to be holding for now. (But I'm leery) With the recent leakage (maybe 0.5 to 1.0 L) and wrestling with the clamps, should I bleed it again? Anyone in the area want to lend a quick hand with this? :) Or recommend a friendly shop?

Again, I'm currently in Sedona, but plan to get to Flagstaff. Or I can probably make it to surrounding areas.

Thanks very much for any help!

James