Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:43:26 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Darwin and the VW or " I Stuck my nose into a new van this past
              weekend."

Last weekend while using my 84 partial westy for it's primary purpose, I had a chance to glance into a modern version of the same vehicle. Didn't get a chance to talk to the owner much, but it was pretty interesting. I've not yet owned one of the newer front engined busses, but I started a LONG time ago in a 36hp Van, then the GL/converted to camper. The new ones? Mmmm, kinda sterile and sort of like the inside of an airplane, in my opinion. Based on about 2 minutes of visual inspection only..This one might have been the weekender model, but it had "Westphalia" decaled across the plastic roof..Didn't see any sink unit inside, but lots of space and a fancy royal blue metallic paint..unlike my old brown tur+-colored one..He had some pretty fancy bikes, too.

I bought my Vanagon as a way to go to weekend cycle races and to carry all my gear inside in an economical vehicle. To have room to change, to carry a few bikes and my dog, to have water along, and maybe a portapotty for crowded city parking lots, to have a place to relax between races and to maybe camp overnight at 'away games" It's done all that and much more. The new one I was checking out, it was doing the same duty (without the dog). It's owner had the same idea as me about how to get his gear around with a little comfort and class.

My Vanagon, it's developed a strong "personality". I have become quite fond of it, much like my original '57 South African Split window. The new one I checked out? Don't see much personality there. Lots of vinyl, velour, plastic, flush fold away stuff and neat engineering details..but...Plastic..

Just an observation on the theory of evolution..VW van style. Or you suppose there is a case for "Intelligent design" when we speak of the origin of the VW Van?

Don Hanson