Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2007 07:47:27 -0700
From:         honemastert <honemastert@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      GoWesty Hotwire/AFM replacement (Update)

The full trip report/writeup is here..

I've not driven a stock 2.1 with this system in it, but can definitely say it pepped up my 2.4!

cheers,

-tim

Re: SDM07 engine conversions

Mark,

Lucas and Taylor's vans have the 2.5 in them. Mine has the 2.4.

Was impressed with the Ztec conversion in John Stewarts van. Very cool, I want a supercharger!

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with GoWesty. Just have been a satisfied customer of theirs over the years.

"Hotwire" update: ------------------- For those of you still running the stock WBX'er or the GoWesty engines, I wanted to update you on a very cool modification.

The gory details are here: http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=804 http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=805

I swung by the shop on Thurs. Lucas and I replaced the shift linkage at the rear (boot was torn.. erratic 4th gear behaviour) I had wanted to try one of their AFM replacements last fall, but the 2.4 fuel map was not ready. Fastforward to May 07 and now things are ready to go! We put it in, and planned to head out early the next day.

Van runs, but right away, I notice a serious dead spot from 2500 to 3000 rpm. Other than that, it feels fine, a little more top end perhaps.. hard to tell.

The main reason I wanted to take advantage of this was due to the fact that Danny (one of the guys that works for Split-Second) would be making the trek from Orange Co. to Hollister in a rented RV (you probably saw them parked out by the gate?)

He was there to help 'dial in' the systems on the 2.5 motor and could also help with the 2.4 (mine)

Using an AFR sniffer in the tailpipe, and a laptop plugged into the serial port on the 'hotwire' black box system, we ran up and down the hills, stopping to tweak the fuel map, then pushing the results back into the box (about a 1-2 min procedure) There were a few flat spots initially in the 2000-3000rpm range, which we corrected, then dialed in later.

We then finished up with a bit more tweaking on the pavement (that was me making those "speed" runs up and down Cienega Rd.) and I can now say the sluggishness that I first experienced is completely gone!

The van is running better than it ever has. (I never had a new AFM on the thing)

Of course GoWesty gets my money, but I get a better running van, and they get a better 2.4 mapping for their system.

mpg improved over the trip back. I was pushing the thing between 70mph and 80mph all the way back and saw 18mpg at best, 16mpg at worst. (these numbers are up 1-2mpg from before!)

Would be fun to have custom mappings for off-road, altitude, sea-level etc: definitely doable, if one was into tweaking and such.

Had a great time at SdM this year, and just wanted to update the list on this cool mod.

BTW, got a short video clip up on my blog as well (url below) nothing much, I always had the camera in the wrong van when out on the trails! DOH!

Unfortunately.. now I want a set of their new springs. :-(

My syncro.org springs have 'set' in (in the front) and are almost back to the stock height. Mind you, I am not that hardcore of an offroader either so I'm a bit bummed about this, something to save up for this fall I suppose.

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=865

cheers,

-tim

www.timschneider.org