Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 May 2007 23:54:45 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil pressure and oil pump priming

One of the problems with Vanagon engines is the maintenance of tolerances. The oil pump has a number of issues. First is the fit in the case and the sealing of the case to oil pump ports. Especially on the inlet side. The pump can be tight but if the inlet is not totally sealed, the pump can suck air and have difficulty priming. Maybe this was your problem and pouring the oil down behind the cam gear got it going for you.

Next is the pump cover. Even new, they often are not flat. Since it is a type 1 pump, there are some aftermarket pumps and or covers available that are better. I do not use the outer paper gasket. I do not believe in oversized pumps as they only create other problems but I want the pump to work as well as possible and of course we want to avoid leaks. I make sure the cover is flat and seal with one of the Loc-tite anaerobic gasket eliminators or flange sealants. Use some sealant around the cover bolt holes to prevent leakage there. Sealing nuts will prevent the nuts loosening and leaking.

Now for most important part, pump and oil system priming. First, the pump does not pump air well. In order for it get a seal so it can create a vacuum and prime, there ahs to be a connection between the gears in the pump and the body. Yes, you need to get some oil or something in there. Before putting on the pump cover, put some grease in the cavities on both sides of the pump. You don’t need a lot. Just enough to squeeze out when the engine turns to provide a seal until some oil gets in there. The grease is not needed if you plan to prime the pump with oil as noted below.

Next- cranking the engine with the starter until oil pressure builds. Don't! If the engine was just assembled, assembly lube should be on the bearings and cam lobes and the cylinders should have had some oil wiped on them. The pump will take a long time to pull a prime and push oil when cranking at 50-70 rpm. The cylinders also need splash action to get oil on them. To be really smart, fill the oil galleys and the pump with a hand oilier. Yes, a small pump type oil can is all you really need. Make sure the oil and can is clean. On the later engines, remove the oil pressure switch near the pump and pump oil in there. Push the can tip and pump until you feel some resistance. If the filter is off, some oil will even flow up there. This will get quite a bit of oil into the pump and help with priming. The remove the other pressure switch and do the same. Some oil is now in the galleys wetting the bearings. You can also do this pushing the oil into the center oil filter mount. Do not fill the filter. A little burp room will also help the pump pick up and prime faster. Now, let the engine start. My bet is you will have pressure in less than 30 seconds. The pump does work much better at 1,000 rpm then 50. Once the pressure is there, you will want to increase the rpm to get the splash on the cylinder walls and off the rockers onto the valve stems. This revving time is the perfect time to finish bleeding and filling the cooling system. Yes, you want the cooling system fully functional before the engine starts to warm up. Yes, some help is nice now.

This is how I start a new engine.

Dennis