Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 May 2007 09:14:49 -0400
From:         David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      evaporator cabinet in place now have pressure switch/50 amp fuse
              blown-long

Thanks to all who responded to my last post concerning my 90 Westfalia's evaporator cabinet installation. That job does require the removal of the shroud that has the vents-really no way around it. I had one of my Honda mechanics at work pull a vacuum and then charge the system with R134A. We had a problem with one of the conversion valves on the low side causing the Schrader valve to open up when the adaptor valve was screwed down all the way on it. This was from a kit I got either from Bus Depot or Volks Cafe in Santa Cruz, not sure which one supplied the kit. We were only able to get about 12 oz. in the system due to this issue. I decided to see if I was getting any cooling at all from this. I had previously tested and found the clutch on the used Sanden 710 that I got on the Samba and it works well and the compressor turns freely when the clutch is engaged. I had also tested the evaporator fans before installation and they worked on all speeds when the compressor clutch was engaged. I started the engine turned on the a/c set to high and the highest fan speed. It ran for about 2 seconds then the fans cut off. Upon further inspection the fan switch test okay and when checking the other fuses behind the panel in the rear left cabinet I found that the 50 amp fuse was blown and the pressure switch on the high side below the service valve was burnt up. I want to find out why this happened before replacing these items. Any ideas? I have very limited knowledge of a/c repairs and wondered if someone else has had this problem. Thanks to all on the list.

David Clarkson 90 Westy (239k) ________________________________________________________________________ AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.