Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 May 2007 07:41:07 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [T2] Air-cooled Federal EGR filter and SMOG
Comments: To: Tom Young <tomyoung1@comcast.net>
Comments: cc: type2@type2.com

I realize this is four days later (on the road with spotty wi-fi), but if your 82 Vanagon is a California model, you didn't have to spend $231 for a brand-new EGR Filter (or $145 or $197.50 for "used" either). They're only $135.95 + FEDEX Ground from and in stock @ Airhead Parts:

http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail.asp?strMasterCat=&idproduct=6114 -- Jim Thompson "On The Road To Ventura, CA" 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 5/4/07, Tom Young <tomyoung1@comcast.net> wrote: > > Hi all: > > The EGR filter on my '82 separated itself from the vehicle while the > California smog test was being performed! Needless to say, I didn't pass > the > test! > > The filter is NLA from Volkwagen (surprise!) and Bus Depot doesn't carry > them > and can't get them. Ditto for the FLAPS. > > I called California BAR and they gave me 3 numbers to call to see if I > could > secure the part whereby I got quotes of: $145.00 for "used", $197.50 for > "reconditioned", $231.00 for "new." I bent over, grabbed my ankles and > said > "I'd like the new one Sir!" > > The ("Test Only") station I took it to has a "pass or free retest" policy > so > once I get the EGR filter hooked up I'm going back, fingers crossed. > > As far as the tailpipe test goes I passed the HC and NO parts but failed > the > CO test. > > Numbers were: > > HC > 15 mph Maximum 204 > 15 mph Measured 62 Pass > > 25 mph Maximum 123 > 15 mph Measured 59 Pass > > NO > 15 mph Maximum 1486 > 15 mph Measured 431 Pass > > 25 mph Maximum 1346 > 15 mph Measured 251 Pass > > CO > > 15 mph Maximum 1.46 > 15 mph Measured 1.54 Fail > > 25 mph Maximum 1.26 > 15 mph Measured 1.47 Fail > > I did all the right things prior to the test: fresh oil, new premium gas, > timing spot on, long drive to get the engine completely warmed up before > hitting the test station. After passing SMOG 2 years I figured I should > pass > this time too - the vehicle sees very little driving - but I turned the CO > screw on the AFM a quarter turn counterclockwise prior to taking the test > under the theory that these vehicles tend to get richer as time goes on > given > the AFM internal mechanism. Since I have no way to test the exhaust > itself > prior to going back I'm going to turn the screw a half-turn more > counterclockwise. That's about the best I can do, unless someone has a > better > idea. > > Tom Young