Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2007 02:04:22 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Seatbelt Help Please
Comments: cc: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>

> From: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM> > Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:22:42 -0700 > > Well after all these years I have come to a first. I have three seat > belts drivers and rear three-point that are retracted all the way. > Is there any hope to ever get the belts to pull back out ?

You might try holding the housing in the same position that it's mounted in when installed in the van. Some inertia-reel seatbelts have a pendulum in them to lock the belt when the car stops quickly, and this needs to be in the right position so you can pull the belt out.

> The housing is held together with special screws, like Phillips but > with 3 -points instead of 4.

Probably a "tri-wing" bit. If you decide you have to open up the housing, go down to Harbor Fright and buy their $5 security bit set. They aren't what you would use on a production line to drive 10,000 screws a day, but for the occasional weird screw they are perfect. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93388

If you are going into production, get a set from Wiha, like http://www.wihatools.com/719collect.htm - but don't order it directly from Wiha's site as their prices are more or less "list". You can get a decent discount from many tool stores.

http://www.lara.com/reviews/screwtypes.htm is a good general reference on weird screw heads.

Alternatively, with a Dremel tool and a cut-off wheel, _everything_ takes a flat-blade screwdriver.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other considerations from any of the companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds