Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2007 03:27:38 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: propane explosion
Comments: cc: "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\" Elliott" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

> From: "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\" Elliott" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:29:06 -0700 > > Smoke detector, CO detector, propane detector . . . who makes the > all-in-one Bad Gas detector* that runs on batteries and doesn't decide > to wake you up in the middle of the night, squalling for a new battery?

Like Dennis said, the requirements for each one are different. I guess you could have a central brain wired to sensors at various places, but then you have to hope (probably in vain) that the end user doesn't screw up the wiring.

The CCI propane detectors that were mentioned earlier seem to come in two models: 7770, which just has a blinky light for low voltage, and 7771, which squawks for low voltage. There are several options for flush/surface, vertical/horizontal, and color for each model.

The 7719 model includes a shut-off valve for the tank. This might be a good idea if you tend to spend a long time away from the van with one of the gas appliances running. (This is probably more likely to happen in a big RV with a furnace or an oven, than in a Westy.) Also, a better term might be "turn-on" valve - the valve has to be powered to keep the gas on, so if you have trouble with your electrical system, your gas will be off as well. Finally, the valve itself does add more potential leak points to the system.

On power: For a long time, smoke detectors in houses just came with batteries, on the idea that you didn't want to depend on the house AC power to run the detector (like if your fuse/breaker box catches on fire.) But then it was found that losing AC power in a fire was much less common than people not putting a fresh battery in the detector. So now you can get (and some building codes require) smoke detectors that run on both AC and batteries. Most of the time they run on AC but if that goes away they switch to an internal 9 V battery. If you can get one that runs on either 12 V DC or an internal 9 V battery, that would probably be a good choice for a Westy.

The other way to prevent your smoke detector from beeping at you is to change the dang battery. :) The standard recommendation is to put in a new battery twice a year, when Daylight Savings Time starts and ends. If you live in a weird place like Arizona that doesn't do DST, or if you find it hard to remember, any two dates that are about 6 months apart will work. Christmas and the 4th of July. Your birthday and your wedding anniversary. May Day and Halloween. Whatever is easy for you to remember. Another way to remember is to put a little note somewhere where you will see it - not on or next to the detector, because you never look up there. Something like a mailing label or Post-It note with "Change smoke detector batteries: May 1" on it. In your van, stick it up in the corner of your windshield, next to the "next oil change" sticker. Or by the sink. Or next to one of the cabinet door handles. Anyplace that you'll look at more than once a year.

The propane detector takes too much juice to be backed up with a 9 V battery. If you really wanted a backup, something like a 12 V lantern battery (or two 6 V lantern batteries in series) would work. Or, install about a 4 to 7 Ah gel-cell battery, charged through a diode from either the main or aux batteries. Wire the propane detector to the gel-cell and it will keep going for a day or so even if the main or aux battery discharges.

> Auerbach PS, Miller EY. High altitude flatus expulsion (HAFE) [letter]. > West J Med 1981;134:173

I had to dig a little bit; a more precise citation is West J Med. 1981 February; 134(2): 173-174. Your tax dollars at work: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1272559&pageindex=1

See also Davis EY, HAFE in Nepal (correspondence). West J Med. 1981 April; 134(4): 366. Your tax dollars at work again: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1272712&pageindex=1

Mr. Davis also published an article in the "Kathmandu Medical Bulletin" in 1972, entitled "Flatulence Accompanying Rigorous Trekking". This publication does not appear to be online.

At least one doctor took the above two articles semi-seriously: http://www.storysmith.net/Articles/Altitude.pdf

Matt Roberds