Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2007 04:11:30 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: evaporator cabinet in place now have pressure switch/50 amp
              fuse blown-long
Comments: cc: David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>

> From: David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM> > Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:14:49 -0400 > > I started the engine turned on the a/c set to high and the highest fan > speed. It ran for about 2 seconds then the fans cut off. Upon further > inspection the fan switch test okay and when checking the other fuses > behind the panel in the rear left cabinet I found that the 50 amp fuse > was blown and the pressure switch on the high side below the service > valve was burnt up.

I would check very carefully for a wire that got pinched or crushed during installation, and any possible mis-wiring that happened on installation. It really sounds like there was a dead short to ground somewhere in the A/C wiring.

If the pressure switch is fed from +12 V, you might look for a short to ground after the pressure switch - or possibly the swich shorted internally, in which case replacing the switch will probably fix it. If it's a switch to ground, look for a short to +12 V before the switch.

It might be helpful to make up a jumper wire with a fuse holder near one end. Put a 20 A or 30 A fuse in the holder and connect that end to the battery, then use the other end to power different parts of the A/C system as installed. You might also have to jumper around pressure switches to get the system to behave as if it was actually running. This way, you can blow up cheap fuses and pieces of wires while tracking it down, instead of expensive fuses and pressure switches.

Matt Roberds