Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2007 10:55:18 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 85 Vanagon head thumper
Comments: To: garyowen <garyowen@MAGMA.CA>

Garry and List,

There are a couple different configurations of the hatch struts and it really depends on what you want the hatch to do. If you sole concern is weight on the hatch then you want a pair of the heavy duty struts (251829332). These will hold the hatch up better than any other struts available because they have the strongest gas charge. The downside is that the hatch is stiffer to open, and stiffer to close. If you have a wife that weighs less than 100 lbs (me) or is not very tall, she will have a more difficult time opening and closing the rear hatch.

You can also get two different hatch struts (251829332 and 251829331B). With one of these on each side you get a couple of things. Instead of having to pull the hatch open the whole way (as with the heavy duty struts), if you open the hatch a little it will self open the rest of the way (unless you have weight on it). Also when you go to close the hatch you will have much less resistance. So this configuration is easier to open and easier to close. A light woman will have no problem opening and closing the rear hatch (I have found if something keeps my wife happy it makes my life better as well but that is just me). I like it better myself so that is why I sell that combo instead of promoting the stiffer pair of HD struts.

If you are still concerned about the weight on the rear hatch a simple fix is to install a piece of PVC pipe that will just fit over the outside of the hatch strut black section. Put the hatch up at it full open position, measure the length of the thin steel part of the hatch strut. Cut the piece of pvc to that length and install it over the thin piece of hatch strut. It will cock and prevent the hatch from closing. To close the hatch simply push this piece so that it starts to slide over the thick, black part of the strut. As you close the hatch it will slide over the thick part and allow the hatch to close with no interference. That way when you have a heavy load on the rear hatch, the load will be on this piece of pipe instead of the hatch strut prolonging the life of your struts.

So if you go with the two different struts and the piece of pipe, you get the best of both worlds. Easy to open and close, and strong enough to hold up any load you would want to put on it. Just FYI. I sell the struts if you want to order a set.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242