Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2007 10:54:53 -0400
From:         Bill Glenn <idahobill@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC - Denver Co, Info - Trip Planned - What to see
Comments: To: David Wilhite <dlwilhite@COMCAST.NET>

On Sun, 6 May 2007 01:01:53 +0000, David Wilhite <dlwilhite@COMCAST.NET> wrote:

>All, > >I will be taking my 4th grade daughter to a Future Problem solving conference @ Colorado State University in Ft. Collins at the end of the month. I plan on renting a car after arriving at Denver by plane, and since we have most all of Wednesday and most of Thursday morning available, I was wondering what is worth seeing in the time available. > >I've got a wild hair to drive over towards Moab Wednesday and see what we can and either start heading back, or stay the night in the area. We don't have to be at the college until around 5:00 on Thursday. I may be nuts, since it does seem to be a bit of a ride to do this, but who knows if we'll ever head that way again. > > My daugther has never been there and I lived in Colorado Springs as a young child for only 6 months, so I really don't remember much more than seeing snow in the mountains during the summer. > >If you have any thoughts or suggestions please pmail me. > >Thanks, > >David Wilhite >84' Westy >Middle TN

David,

It's been a long time since I was in fourth grade, and times do change, but I can't imagine a fourth grader enjoying what you propose: a minimum of seven hundred miles in a day and a half, and that's just the round trip from Denver to Moab without any time or distance alloted to actually visit some of the more-accessible, notable sites. If you had the whole day and a half to tour just the vicinity of Moab, you still would barely scratch the surface, and you would spend too much time in the car driving from place to place. You don't have the time to go to Moab.

What you do have is a small window of time with a daughter who is growing through childhood and is now becoming a "little person", but not yet old enough to be pushing you away in favor of spending time with her friends; that will happen soon enough. With the benefit of hindsight, if I were in your shoes, I would focus on just being with your daughter, one on one; what you do is not all that important, but I should try to formulate travel plans from the perspective of a nine-year-old.

Take advantage of being in Colorado by getting up into the mountains, and do some things your daughter would enjoy. I don't presume to tell you what to do; maybe the two of you would enjoy riding the replica steam train from Georgetown to Silver Plume, or drive over Berthoud Pass for the view, stopping on top to have a snowball fight in Summer (though you will be a bit early for Summer at 12,000 feet.

Maybe soak in a hot springs; experiencing thousands of gallons of hot water endlessly issuing from the earth is rather special, possibly more so for a nine-year-old experiencing it for the first time. The hot springs having the most-immediate access from Denver would be in Idaho Springs (a bit old and funky), and Hot Sulphur Springs (renovated over the past ten years and recently sold). Visiting the latter would put you in position to enter Rocky Mountain National Park from the west side at Grand Lake. The end of May is rather early for the high elevations of the park, as much of it will still be under cover of snow, and the wild flowers will be evident only at the lower elevations. In traversing the park from west to east, you will exit at Estes Park, which is not too far from your final destination, Fort Collins.

P-mail me if you would like more-specific ideas/information/directions.

Bill