Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2007 13:01:27 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: propane explosion sleep with one nostral open

I add a correction here. Gary is right- If the pressure regulator fails, it can also deliver high pressure liquid propane to the appliance. Since Westfalias have factory 2-stage regulators, the second stage does prevent higher than 11" water column pressures to the appliance. Boats also have a electric solenoid valve to prevent regulator leakage to the cabin when not in use.

Replacing the dual with a single stage does increase the risk of high pressure gas or liquid propane at the appliance. The standard pressure output of a single stage is 5 psi.

As Gary pointed out, the risk is pressure that is higher than this . But the risk is only if the appliance is in use. If the appliance valves are off, the gas cannot enter the vehicle unless the fittings leak.

The fridge burner has a very small orifice. It acts like a restrictor, so and too high pressures here will put the flame out, and the thermocouple will then shut off the gas.

The Westy stove does not use a thermocouple because it wsn't designed for 24 hour use.

This would make it safer, in case your stove was on, ran out of gas, then you fill the propane tank without first turning off the stove knob.

The two-stage then prevents too low or too high pressure at the appliance, when the appliance is in use. Pressure differences in a gas appliance changes the air/fuel ratio fo that appliance.

Maintaining a consistent pressure insures clean and effecient combustion, plus proper heat output for the refrgerator burner, and stove.

If the appliance valves are off, and the regulator fails, this failure is usually gas leakage to the outside air.

The secondary regulator stabilizes pressure.

Single -stage failure usually results in regulator leakage .I have not seen super high gas stove pressure with flames soaring or a gigantic cloud of propane, but it can happen.

The safety of the two-stage is that if a inexperienced attendant should overfill the the tank, the second stage regulator will not allow more the the standard allowable water column of pressure at the appliance.

AN overfilled tank is dangerous because it has no vapor space, the 20% min air space required above the liquid propane in order for it to become a gas, thus preventing liquid propane from entering the appliance.

This space is also for expansion of the liquid propane in hot weather.

Without this space in hot weather, the tank pressure will increase, and the liquid propane can freeze the the regulator, rendering it inoperative.

In this case , whether one or two stage, operating an appliance such as the stove is dangerous due to the potential for liquid, not gasified propane, entering the appliance . Liquid propane acts as a refrigerant and can freeze flesh on contact. It also expands rapidly and can easily fill the interior of a camper Vanagon in seconds if it enters in liquid form.

This is why all RV tanks have an 80 % fill requirment and an 80% valve that lets the attendant know when to turn off the gas and prevent filling up the last 20% air space.

If the two-stage regulators only job was to prevent liquid propane from entering the vehicle, then the 20 % expansion space would not be needed.

I have replaced many leaking Vanagon 2-stage factory regulators. They are old. Now is a good time to replace them with a new 2-stage for about $30.00. You have to be careful, but it can be done without damaging the pipes when installing the longer new regulator.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

____________________________________________________________________________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more. http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC