Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2007 16:49:49 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Head sealants??
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

I used the 37 ft/lb torque specs for the three 1.9 engines I've put heads on (as per my '91 Bentley) and have had no problems. I've used both Victor Reinz and Elring gasket kits and both came with small tubes of yellow sealant for the cap nuts and larger tubes of black sealant for the waterjacket gaskets.

I don't see that there was a waste of money for extra gaskets that I didn't need as two "head gasket" kits cost more than one "engine gasket kit". I ended up using the crankshaft seals from one of the kits long after redoing the heads.

Mike

David Kao wrote: > --- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >> Coat the nut face and place a small bead on the stud thread. >> Final torque should about 37ft/lb. If you feel a stud that is not tightening >> or excessively springing back, it needs to be replaced. > > Bentley manual says 35nm (25 ftlb) for 1.9 wasserbox head nuts. The manual > was purahsed from a VW dealer in 1984. The number may have been revised to > higer over the years. I am not aware of it though. > > I used a Victor Reinz gasket set before and stuck the instruction sheet of > the gasket set in the Bentley manual. Just looked at it and found that it > says 50nm for the head nuts. Actually the number 50 was written over printed > number of 35 on the instruction. I did not write the number myself. The > instruction was printed in 3 languages and all 3 had the number 50 written over > the printed number of 35. > > I believe the number of 50 was written over by the factory. Has anyone used > Victor Reinz gasket set and seen the same thing? This is a critical number > that needs to be clarified. 50nm seems a bit high. But I have had no problems > for my 84 1.9 wasserbox for 40k+ miles. My Volvo 262C has 70ftlb for its head > nuts. It has aluminum block and heads as well. Of course A Volvo can be > a totally different thing although it has 6 wet cylinders similar to the 4 > in my wasserbox. > > Elring gasket set did not come with any instructions. It came with one sealant > tube for the rubber gasket, instead of 2 in Victor Reinz gasket kit. But one > is plenty enough. Both gasket kits came with a lot of gaskets for other > different engines. I ended up using only a small portion of gaskets. I guess > I wasted more than half of the cost for gaskets I do not need. > > David > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games. > http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow >