Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 May 2007 10:22:58 -0400
From:         benoit <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: About Busfusion.... (read that you lazy American)
Comments: To: Jamie Auch <jamie@kookymathteacher.com>

That prety cool Jamie!!!!!

As for the others who sent me private e-mail about me thinking that all American are ignorant folks.... some are, as some Canadian... also, the worse being the European...

First, let me tell you that i have travel (elsewhere than North America) some in my life, mostly between 20 and 35.

As for what i think about American (US) folks, my experience is that they are simply the best folks i have met in my life.... i have broke down or had problems in my Westy / motorcycle roadtrip in the US and Canada more than you can imagine. When youger (men, i feel old saying that), i did 6 motorcycle US / Canada road trip, broke down in each one. Had the nicest folks help me each and everytime... the hopitality of US citizen amazed me each time. i broke down in remote and strange places, sometime, almost scary... mostly in the southern states, including TX, Alabama, TN, CA, AZ and many more including UT. Sadly, the rest of the world seem to have a different opinion than mine. Even in my own province, each day in my shop, i have to convince some folks that American a great folks, men, they live 30 minutes from the US and have never crossed the border. So this is also called "ignorance", at least in MY book.

I'm not even talking how Mexican folks help me when stranded in Baja.... yea, big bad bandidos. Even people here on this list help me! you know who you are! So now some of you may understand why i put so much energy on my site...in English... i'm doing my share!

Another one in TX, yea, again, "scary" people (the one that don't travel!) told me to be cautious in that state, carefull about the cops... sure... I lost my muffler (73 westy) on freeway... the police car in the back got pieces of it... on it's windshield! Ohhh men... not good, short story: i spent 1 night at the cops home, he was one of the best host i have ever seen trying everything to help find a part, fix it with me, and all his 10 cool body's. Sure, don't mess with Texas...

The worse place that i broke, and no one offered help is.... in my own province, sadly.

But still! here is a few funny one:

Crossing in the US from BC, into Oregon, speak with a cute 12yo kid, tell him i'm from eastern Canada.... he reply: Where is Canada!

On a Nova Scotia mailling list, i guy ask if we are on 220V or 110V in Canada, on top, he ask what kind of fuel do we use for car???? he is from NY???

Northern California, 2 nice women have no idea where is BC, or neither of any other provinces, worse, they don't know we have provinces, she is convince that we have states and don't believe me.

But don't worry, it's far from being only in the US, it's here also.... the worse, some European still think we lives with indian and that they still live in tents.... yea, and many others scary stories like that about European. Like we still don't have pavement on our road, we still use horses in the old fashion way. We moslty heat oursefl with fire places (kind of true).... the funny thing is that Quebec sell Electricity to NY state, Ontario... (at least, it use to!)

In Menphis, i guys tell me that he had never seen an European car/van (looking at my westy) in his life, he and his friend (very nice folks) are all around the van, inside looking everywhere, more than 15 peoples. He now scream when i tell him the engine is in the back... he he he.

Just Funny....

I have so many more stories, but the conclusion is that: Be nice with folks, listen to what they have to say, don't be a prick, and folks will be nice to you. People are people. Everything is a question of behavior!

Cheers, Ben