Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 May 2007 18:00:23 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Newbie battery questions
Comments: To: pbrattan@gmail.com

> > RE: > Here's a picture of the aux battery.<http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy/Westy_AuxBat-03.jpg> > It looks like the driver's seat had to be removed in order to install it. > (I'm not looking forward to this, although I HAVE removed car seats before.) >

Okay, you have the equivalent of an Optima battery, virtually identical except for the name. There should be nothing wrong with it for that job BUT is should be wired right so that the two batteries are not connected when the engine is off.

As for removing the aux battery, not a big deal. First, you remove the drivers seat by sliding it off to the front. There a a little spring loaded metal tab on the side of the track that has to be depressed to allow the seat to come off. Next, you turn the seat base around 180 degrees and that will give enough clearance to pull the aux battery. If the seat mounting plate wont' turn you can loosen the four nuts holding it down. I mention this because the drivers seat rarely gets turned and can be quite stiff, almost impossible to rotate with the seat out.

Here's a view looking down into aux battery cavity from the driver's door.<http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy/Westy_AuxBat-06.jpg> > It looks like there are 2 large cylinders at the

Thats probably the battery...

bottom. > > This is the "makeshift" cover<http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy/Westy_AuxBat-05.jpg>that was set on top of the battery, which protrudes above the cavity. It > has a 12 volt socket

Better solutions have been made but that does the job. The original cover was hinged and is probably missing now.

> It looks like the auxiliary battery was "Mickey Moused." Is it ALWAYS > necessary to remove the seat to install an auxiliary battery, or should it > just fit in the cavity like the main battery does? If so, I'll just remove > the Mickey Moused aux battery - as long as I won't have to remove the seat > AGAIN to put in a new one. If I have to remove the seat, I'll leave it in, > but disconnected, until I have the replacement on hand.

I think you will find that removing the drivers seat is not that big a deal once you have done it.

Your first concern is to find out what is draining the starting battery. The problem couild be associated with the aux battery but it's not likley the PO was having the same problem.