Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 May 2007 23:54:29 -0400
From:         TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Something about a squirrel and a nut or advice for doing a third
              party purchase

OK, unbelievably, some old guy walks up to my van and after speaking a few moments, he wants me to get him one. Now he's rich, and I stand to make some good cash off this deal if I can swing it. I have to find him the van of his choice, get him to outlay the cash, and take my cut off the top. At first I was like, "I don't need to ask the list. I'll just have him cut a check, I'll cash it, get the van and keep the difference". Then it occurred to me, the old guy ain't going to just give me a check for over 10k and let me walk away with a promise to return with the van and the title (Even though I am). So how do I get pops to fork up the price I set, get the van, pay the dealer/owner without tipping him that he's paying me a substantial finders fee, inspection fee, travel time and gas money (so that he doesn't call the old guy, under cut me and keep the (wretched) excess for him). Any thoughts on how to swing the deal? One more time from the top: Pops wants a van. I find the van. The goal is to get Pops to pay the extra for my services, pay for the van and deliver, and I make some much needed and fat wad of ben franklins all while the seller and buyer are happy and unknowing. Oh, vanagon content. The old guy wants me to find him a Vanagon Westphalia and his price range is: No more than 20K. Now you know... And the squirrel comment probably makes sense to most of you now.

Thanks, TJ