Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 May 2007 21:56:01 -0700
From:         Thomas Pfrommer <pfrommer@PHAS.UBC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Something about a squirrel and a nut or advice for doing a
              third party purchase
Comments: To: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>

Hm , I would be a bit suspicious, let me tell you a story about what email response I got when I tried to sell my 1980 aircooled vanagon (BTW still not sold, as I am way too busy to take care): This is the first email:

" Hello Seller .

Good day to you and how is everything in general with your business at large, well I am Knowles Nicolas, i found your ads posted that i am having the interested in buying your vehicle. i would like youto provide me with the last asking price condition and the . Please do help me by answering the questions below for my clearifications,it will also enable me to prepare for payment arrangement. Do you have any loan to pay off on the car? The title how ready is it, as in is the title with you or with some financial institution? Does the car come with any warranty? or do you want to sell it "as is"?. Is the engine in what condition presently?. How often do you service the car?. How many miles has the car presently?.Are you the real owner of the car?,if yes for how long have you used the car?. Has the car ever been invoved in an auto accident before?. What about(if any)mechanical defulties on the car?.

Kindly get back to me with the relevant informations,while we do a carfax check on the car with the VIN.

Thanks for your understanding " No name after that nothing. Well i responded and with all information i could provide, and got following:

" Good day, thanks for the mail and the content is well noted, i m really impressed about the way you have noted every point of it, and yes i'm really interested, I have forwarded your vehicle information to my client and after evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are runningshort of time, I'm delighted to tell you that my client has recommended your vehicle, with full interest and he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction.

He also instructed to inform you that payment will get to you in a Cashiers Check amount of $5,000 which will cover the cost of the vehicle and also the cost of shipment.So you are required to deduct the cost of your (vehicle) $1,300 When payment gets to you and refund balance $3,700 the Agent (The shiper ) for him to be able to ofset shipping & tax charges and other cosmetic repair costs.

Now we really need your Truth & Honesty with definite assurance that the balance will be honestly be send to the shipper when payment get to you, as we have make alternative arrangement not to stress you in shipment. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up of vehicle & signing of title papers, make some cosmetic touches to a prepaid shipper to be ship to my customer.

To further more, Please confirm these and provide the following for the payment to be made out and send to you.

FULL NAMES:......... ADDRESS:.......... CITY.................. STATE............... POSTAL CODE............... COUNTRY............... TELL/CELLPHONE:..........

THANKS AND GOD BLESS Knowles Nicolas "

So I thought I won't do it, as what if this cheque is not waterproof, the bank won't find it out right away? Then I don't have the van, don't have any money and thats it. I wrote back, " Sorry but all it counts is cash. Give the money to the shipper and he can pay me cash, than the van is yours. "

I never got a reply. I know its a bit different compared to your story, as you were asked in person, but an old man, looking trustable ... it just reminded me ....... and I think it's worth to be suspicious. Even if you get the money from the bank, be sure that the cheque is covered. Sometimes they can come back three weeks later and have still the right to ask their money back from you (Up to 20K ... hm ). To be save ask for cash, or other save trustable money transfers.

Thomas

TJ Hemrick wrote: > OK, unbelievably, some old guy walks up to my van and after speaking > a few > moments, he wants me to get him one. Now he's rich, and I stand to make > some good cash off this deal if I can swing it. I have to find him > the van > of his choice, get him to outlay the cash, and take my cut off the > top. At > first I was like, "I don't need to ask the list. I'll just have him > cut a > check, I'll cash it, get the van and keep the difference". Then it > occurred > to me, the old guy ain't going to just give me a check for over 10k > and let > me walk away with a promise to return with the van and the title (Even > though I am). So how do I get pops to fork up the price I set, get > the van, > pay the dealer/owner without tipping him that he's paying me a > substantial > finders fee, inspection fee, travel time and gas money (so that he > doesn't > call the old guy, under cut me and keep the (wretched) excess for > him). Any > thoughts on how to swing the deal? One more time from the top: Pops > wants > a van. I find the van. The goal is to get Pops to pay the extra for my > services, pay for the van and deliver, and I make some much needed and > fat > wad of ben franklins all while the seller and buyer are happy and > unknowing. Oh, vanagon content. The old guy wants me to find him a > Vanagon > Westphalia and his price range is: No more than 20K. Now you > know... And > the squirrel comment probably makes sense to most of you now. > > Thanks, > TJ