Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 May 2007 09:50:37 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Piston Ring Replacement
Comments: To: Pascal.Giasson@GNB.CA

The top ridge needs to be cut with a ridge cutter. Trying to hone it off will just make a mess. This needs to be done so the new ring does not smack against it as it will have a new sharp edge that may be just a little bit wider than the worn one. Just as important as ring gap is the ring lands in the pistons. At this mileage the lands are most likely worn and replacing the rings doesn't help that much. As for honing, you need to real careful, the cylinders are already worn and a few thousandths can disappear very quickly. Than you get to listen to those strange piston slap noises that are sometimes confused as knock. If you visibly break the glaze, you are removing metal. If the cylinder is worn enough to warrant oversize rings, you will also need oversized pistons. See why these are almost always sold as sets? You have a used engine, and new rings does not change that.

For ring replacement, try to find a set that has a one piece oil ring. The three piece rings use some oil. I have also used the "gap less" rings by total seal. Expensive but they do almost eliminate blow by.

Dennis