Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 May 2007 10:06:37 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Buying a vanagon in Europe
Comments: To: kozakmike1@HOTMAIL.COM

First I'd like to re-emphasise Malcolms advice: Investigate renting for a shorter period or bringing your van for a longer period. In Holland there is also an organized VW westy rent and sell operation, with a buyback option. I forgot the name and link, but google should find it.

That said, it is not impossible to buy a van in Europe, though it will likely take longer than initially anticipated.

I think Germany is the place to get your VW camper. They are more plentiful. The Germans maintain their vehicles pretty well (in comparative terms), and Germans speak better English than most others.

Depending on your budget you could:

1. Lease a new VW camper from a Dealer.

2. Buy a used vehicle with a warranty from a used car dealer. (different terms and options are available.) I'm a bit suspicious exactly what a warranty will cover, but this might be worth investigating.

3. Or of course the most economic option: buy a vehicle you trust you can service yourself; do the pre-purchase inspection yourself and be prepared to deal with anything that comes up. (bring toolkit, manual etc.) IMHO this option favors simple vehicles where there are not so much to inspect or that can go mysteriously wrong.

Insurance and registration is a bit of a challenge for non-EU citizens, unless you have a valid residence reason (like studies/job).

In Germany you can get "for export" plates for up to 3 mo w/o residence. You need "for export" insurance, which is more expensive. I'm told you can go back and do the same again for three more months, but didn't verify this.

Insurance is also more expensive for export plates. I believe hundreds of Euro/mo. I might have put more specific figures in earlier posts. (see my posts on buying a van in Germany from a few months ago)

Martin -- Martin Jagersand University of Alberta http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~jag/