Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 May 2007 21:07:07 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Break-In Oil Weight
Comments: To: Dennis <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Very good question, Dennis. There is an embarrassing story about it.

My 83 westy suffered a head gasket failure when it was at about 35k miles. My local VW dealer worked on it but it never really fixed it correctly. When it was at about 80k miles I filed a complaint with BBB in California. BBB contacted VWoA and got a deal for me to rebuild the heads for me and I only had to pay 20% of the cost.

So the VW dealer replaced the cylinder heads with a pair of rebuild. They did nothing to the damaged cylinders/pistons and rings. I couldn't get them to do it again for me so I decided to put on a new liner myself. I did it when the westy was at about 90k miles.

While assembling the pistons I managed to lose a piston pin clip into the block. I could not get it out so I was forced to split the block and took the clip out. The oil pump lost its oil because of that.

I then managed to start the engine without knowing the oil pump wasn't pumping for 30 minutes. Well, during the 30 minutes the engine was on and off all the time. The noise of dry rings rubbing against the cylinder wall was something I will never forget. I finally found the oil warning light was steadily on... By that time the rings were already ruined I think.

For the past 20+K miles I never got the rings to seat at all and the engine kept on losing oil and never gained its power back. So I finally redo it again two weeks ago. This time I made no same mistake any more. I only need to break it in properly. This is why I only did the liner and nothing else. Actually I had all lifters repacked. They were all fozen (stuck) for some reason.

This was also how I learned to find that hole to pour oil to prime the oil pump. Without that the pump was able to pump air only.

David