Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2007 14:11:17 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head sealants??
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>

--- Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET> wrote:

> I used the 37 ft/lb torque specs for the three 1.9 engines I've put > heads on (as per my '91 Bentley) and have had no problems. I've used > both Victor Reinz and Elring gasket kits and both came with small tubes > of yellow sealant for the cap nuts and larger tubes of black sealant for > the waterjacket gaskets. > > I don't see that there was a waste of money for extra gaskets that I > didn't need as two "head gasket" kits cost more than one "engine gasket > kit". I ended up using the crankshaft seals from one of the kits long > after redoing the heads. > > Mike

Thanks for clarifying. Glad that I am right on this one.

50nm is 35ftlb. So I guess what I have been doing (final torgue at 50nm) is about right. I seem recall someone told me that the number on the Bentley was too low. I believe I was told by Bugformance people from where I purchased the Victor Reinz gasket set. But the gasket set came sealed so I don't think Bugformace wrote the number 50 on the instruction sheet. Maybe they did. Bugformace specializes in bug/bus and all vanagon works.

I paid about $100 for a complete Elring gasket set. Maybe the extra gaskets are for the short block. There are crank shaft seals (front and rear), waterpump and oil pump gaskets and many small metal ones. Yes there are head nut sealant (yellow) and the black sealant for the watserjackets.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase. http://farechase.yahoo.com/