Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 May 2007 15:12:06 -0700
From:         PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Newbie battery questions
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Before I replaced the main battery, I charged it disconnected and left it disconnected overnight. The next morning it registered 10 volts while never reconnected. That's why I replaced it. I recharged the new battery while disconnected, and it still registers 12 volts after being disconnected for 2 days.

Here's a picture of the aux battery.<http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy/Westy_AuxBat-03.jpg> It looks like the driver's seat had to be removed in order to install it. (I'm not looking forward to this, although I HAVE removed car seats before.)

Here's a view looking down into aux battery cavity from the driver's door.<http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy/Westy_AuxBat-06.jpg> It looks like there are 2 large cylinders at the bottom.

This is the "makeshift" cover<http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy/Westy_AuxBat-05.jpg>that was set on top of the battery, which protrudes above the cavity. It has a 12 volt socket attached to it, on the other side, but it's not visible from the photo.

This sticker indicates the battery was manufactured in 11-04<http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy/Westy_AuxBat-08.jpg>. The receipt indicates the P.O. purchased it 1-22-06

It looks like the auxiliary battery was "Mickey Moused." Is it ALWAYS necessary to remove the seat to install an auxiliary battery, or should it just fit in the cavity like the main battery does? If so, I'll just remove the Mickey Moused aux battery - as long as I won't have to remove the seat AGAIN to put in a new one. If I have to remove the seat, I'll leave it in, but disconnected, until I have the replacement on hand. Thanks again. Patti ***************************** On 5/13/07, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > > RE: Battery Draining > IIRC before you replaced the starting battery you put a meter on it and > found about a 1 amp or better drain/current flow with everything turned > off. If that was not chased down and corrected your new battery is going to > go dead. > > The aux battery, when properly wired in, provides voltage for the > refrigerator but only for about 2 to three hours max. If additional wiring > changes are made then all interior lights, the radio, and the cigarette > lighter are also moved to the aux battery. Many people add additional 12v > outlets, like the cigarette lighter, and wired directly (with fuse) to the > aux battery to use for computers, TV sets etc. That way there is no danger > of running down the starting battery. > > If your aux battery is in fact a deep cycle and is to tall for the battery > compartment it may well be an Optima. Is the top of the battery yellow or > blue plastic rather than black? >