Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 May 2007 15:12:05 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Immobilise the van?
Comments: cc: Dug Smith <dug@DUGBERT.COM>

> From: Dug Smith <dug@DUGBERT.COM> > Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 10:48:30 -0700 > > The thing I'm stuck with is the disabling relay - I can't find anything > in the cab (I'm hoping to avoid running wires to the engine bay) that > looks like it would disable the van, but has small capacity wires.

Interrupting circuit 15 immediately after the ignition switch will do what you want. This will let the starter crank mightily but nothing else will work - ignition coil, fuel injection ECU, etc. On the other hand, there's probably a lot of juice flowing in this wire.

If you wanted to just kill the ignition coil, the online wiring diagram for a '90 shows that the coil is powered from a 1.5 mm^2 black wire on connector D, pin 15 on the back of the fuse box. If you interrupt that wire, the coil won't get power. That wire should be carrying much less current than all of circuit 15 at the ignition switch. If you have some other year, that wire may be in a different place.

> I'm thinking that in a perfect world, it would be something that would > allow the van to turn over, but not start, that way the potential thief > thinks "POS Volkswagen" and heads off to steal somebody else's vehicle.

If they really want your van, they'll bring a flatbed tow truck with a good winch.

On the other hand, if car theft is a big problem where you live, any kind of anti-theft system may get you a few bucks off of your insurance. I had a Ch@vy that had basically a relay between the starter circuit and another system on the vehicle. You had to turn something else on first before the starter would work. When I lived in Kansas City the insurance didn't care about this. Then I moved to Dallas and the agent was able to give me a few bucks off of my insurance for this. He also gave me a chart showing how much discount you could get for alarm systems with various features.

Matt Roberds