Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 May 2007 23:55:35 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: update on a/c fuse blowing
Comments: To: dvdclarksn@AOL.COM

Most of the wiring for the AC goes up around the drivers side D pillar. In other words, behind the cabinet at the rear of the westy. But you don't need to pull the cabinet. Just the shelves and the corner section in the cabinet.

This is where the relays, and fuse and connectors are.

The cables to the fans go up from that point.

The cables to the engine (and freon lines) go down from that point.

Check the connectors. If they aren't white, but instead are brownish, then you have a resistance problem in your connectors. Not too surprising in a vehicle 17 years old. You can try using a small file to clean the oxidation off the connectors, or you can have someone put new connectors on (cutting back the wiring to good copper.) Be aware, that your copper wiring has probably oxidized as well.

Oxidized connectors and copper wire increases the resistance of the wire (causing heat, which is what the browning is caused by). If there is enough resistance, bad things can happen.

Blown fuses are usually caused by LACK of resistance. In other words run away voltage going to ground.

Check the speed fan switch itself (it's easy to get to on the dash). Probably not your problem.

The fans work by having a resistor throttle the current. The more resistance, the slower the speed of the fan. the less resistance, the faster the fan. Since you have problems with speeds 3 and 4, one or other of the AC fans' resistor packs could have a dead short. There are two fans up there with the evaporator. Each has it's own resistor pack.

The way to check is with the power off, check resistance on the hot line going to the fans, in each of the speed switch settings. Resistance you are measuring is to GROUND. It should vary, at each of the 4 speed settings, with speed 4 having no connection to ground. If speed 3 or 4 show 0 or a very small ohm value (less than 500 ohms) compared to ground, this is likely where your short is.

I'm not positive but you may be able to disconnect each fan separately from the wiring behind the cabinet and check each independently.