Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 May 2007 21:01:41 -0700
From:         BA <oddstray@ODDSTRAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Racks for Tandem Bikes?
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

Wow. I dunno ...

We have three ways to carry our two single-rider bikes with our 'Esme'.

We have a front hitch, and a bike rack that fits onto it. The bikes ride sideways in front of us. I don't know whether tandem bikes would be too wide to ride this way without sticking sideways out into traffic.

We have a back hitch, and <insert paragraph above here>. We tend to use the front hitch in preference to the back hitch for ease-of-campsite-setup purposes. Having bikes on the back hitch impedes access to the rearmost cabinet.

Additionally, we have two bike holder thingies (S clarifies: "Hollywood fork mounts") screwed into the panel below the rear passenger seat. We bought the van with one holder-thingie courtesy of our P.O. It worked well, so we installed the second one. If we're carrying bikes in Serious Earnest we tend to carry them inside because it's just that little bit much easier to drive 'Esme' with the bikes inside. (S adds: serious earnest = longer distance - and the multiple reasons are security, reduction in wind resistance, freedom from weather and insects). For tootling around town we'll stick 'em on front or back. Overnight at an unfamiliar campside we'll stick 'em on front or back because we can lock them onto the carriers. (S adds, - or just lock 'em to a nearby tree.)

S sed (but didn't type) that if you take the wheels off yer tandem it may not be too wide to carry sideways, on a front or back hitch.

B&S '87 Westy 'Esemerelda Blanc' SoCal