Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2007 12:50:10 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: FLAPS?  not in my experience (No Van Content)

Facetious List Acronym, Possibly Sarcastic?

I've found the people at the two rubber-stamp retail boxes here (AutoZone and Kragen) to be adequate if you know what you're after and you hold their hands when necessary. I usually go through the websites first and get part numbers and so on before going there. The Napa and Big A in town are more like old-fashioned / full-service auto parts stores but they're more expensive of course, and while their employees know quite a bit more about cars they tend to be lacking a bit in what most people would consider common retail 'customer service' skills. Basically I'm more interested in competency than manners.

I tend to go to the McParts stores for things I consider less critical or easier to work on (like alternators or starters) which are much cheaper there and for which I also get the 'lifetime warranty'. I go to the other stores for better quality parts where I feel like it's wiser to spend the money to do so, in cases where the component is more critical and/or harder to repair such as internal engine parts.

I realize that 'you get what you pay for' is in full effect here; having said that I've had decent luck with the Kragazone stuff, and the ability to walk into any one of their stores and access your warranty history has paid off for me as well. I had to exchange something under warranty at my dad's place in Cottonwood that I had bought here; I just walked in with the part, gave them my phone number and it was done. In contrast, my stepdad had a Napa starter go bad while we were in NorCal and he had to buy another one outright and go wrestle for his money back (as he didn't need an exchange as the store preferred) from the local store. I understand that most Napa-s are independently owned franchises and the company is not very automated/computerized yet.

I buy my Vanagon parts from the local VW Jedi; he has a shop and a parts store as well as being a gold-star smog station. It's more expensive to buy from him than from the list vendors for the most part, but in general I prefer to support locally owned businesses (as I have one myself), and this guy has given me an extensive 'free' education over the years from patiently answering my bazillion-plus questions. Having said that I will be buying some stuff from the list vendors in support of that symbiotic relationship as well.

It can't be easy staffing those auto stores. You're in a weird grey area in trying to get people that have a certain amount of automotive competency for just a little more than minimum wage when that same person could probably make more money and get better hours with what they know working at a shop or dealer. There are guys that can discuss engine minutiae all day that would lock up completely when placed in front of a cash register. I can tell y'all from my own experience as a retail manager that trying to find one person that is at least average in say, four different areas can be quite a challenge. Most of the people that can do that or better can sell themselves for more than you can pay somewhere else that's a better working environment to boot.

I figure it's better to make sure I know what I'm doing up front and walk them through it than leave myself in the position of having to depend on their people. Oh yeah- and open all boxes before you go to the register... that's a big one.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson@GORGE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:25 AM Subject: FLAPS? not in my experience (No Van Content)

Why do we refer to these places like that? Friendly Local Auto Parts Store? I've not found most of the countermen("persons?) very friendly at all..In fact, they seem downright rude, in most cases..Occasionally you might get someone who actually knows something about vehicles. Sometimes you get someone who even tries to be helpful, but in my experience you usually get ignored for a while, and then some kinda attitude or just a 'blank stare".. FLAPS, my patootie! Don Hanson