Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 May 2007 10:24:37 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil pressure -- next round
Comments: To: pfrommer@PHAS.UBC.CA

What viscosity oil are you using? This may have been mentioned but remind me. I doubt you have a blockage. The lenght of hose going to the guage will not efect the reading unless you are actually flowing oil. It may delay the reading but the final pressure reading is good. Scratches in the oil cover is common. Dirt. Was it a new pump and housing? You can check the housing for wear with a striaght edge and feeler guages. The Bentley has the specs.

12.5 psi is almost .9 bar. While not quite the pressure that should be there you are clsoe to satifying the switch, (.9 Bar). If you can get maintain 2 bar, (28 psi) at 4,000 rpm, you should be safe to run. These pressures are an indication of loose mains or out of round rods or a missing/bad cam bearing shell. Also, how are the vlaves adjusted? If you set the lifters with clearance, you will have some excess flow there. They should be tight, ( touching + 1-2 turns) so that all oil flowing through has to get forced through the rockers.

Dennis