Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 May 2007 14:09:27 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: fiamma awning 10 ft or 11-8 ft
Comments: To: Richard A Jones <jones@colorado.edu>

RE: Mounting Awnings Since this thread is expanding I'll jump in with my own experience that may help others. Four and a half years ago I added a Fiamma F45i 10" awning to my '90 Westy. It was mounted by the local vendor using the Fiamma mounting kit. Note that Fiamma only provides two mounting brackets for the VW Vanagon or Bus. The Vendor placed the mounting brackets one ahead of the slider (between the slider and the passenger door) and the other just behind the slider. This left the rear four feet or so of the awning unsupported. It looked okay. On the very first outing I was not going to deploy the awning, didn't need it, was camping with others in bad weather but we had a group meeting hall. Someone wanted to see the awning so I ran it out all the way to show it. I had the legs to the ground, the center rafter in, and because it was raining I tilted the awning down at one corner. Later, when I was away from the van, a major rain and hail squall came through. The awning was wiped out, the center rafter bent and broken in half, the casing twisted at the unsupported back end and one leg broken in two and also broken away fro the main part of the awning, broken cast hinge/bracket. Three things had combined to cause the mess. First, the awning was deployed. It should have been rolled back in in that weather. But it also should have been able to handle the rain (maybe not the hail) with the center rafter in place and one corner dropped lower than the other. But in fact the center rafter contributed to the problem. It created two pools of water, not just one. If the lowered corner had been maybe a foot lower it might have drained. But in fact the center rafter acted like a damn and created a large pool of water, half the area of the awning, that couldn't drain. Now the mounting also came into play. Since the rear part of the awning case was not supported it was able to twist from the load putting extra strains on all the joints, hinges, etc. Lesson learned: Don't deploy in heavy rain!! (And maybe not in light rain as you will see below). After warm discussion with the local vendor that had done the install and discussion with Fiamma (they had not included the proper mounting instructions when they shipped the awning, I later got a copy from someone else) the three parties (Fiamma, the vendor, and myself) came to an agreement that we were all equally responsible in this situation and I was given a replacement awning at a third the cost of a new one and was allowed to keep the old, broken awning. The conditions were that I mount it myself, which I did. I also sold the damaged awning to a local list member who had the ability anf tools to repair it, he ended up with a near new awning for about a third the cost of new or less. Move on a three years (with a lot of use for the awning, especially in the summer to provide shade) and a camp out last Spring. I had the awning fully deployed and staked to the ground. There was a chance of rain so I had dropped one corner of the awning, or so I had thought. During the night a very light drizzle started, just after I went to bed. No problem, a light rain, it can run off easily (as opposed to a cloudburst) and I went to sleep. I was just waking up at about 0700 the next morning when there was a major 'crash' just outside the van. I looked out to see the whole awning on the ground, one end actually detached from the rain gutter!! I got dressed and climbed out the drivers door (right side was blocked) and found that apparently I had not had one corner down, at least not enough. Water had built up to the point that the forward mounting bracket had actually straitened out the rain gutter and come off the van and the rear mounting bracket was almost off, that part of the rain gutter also bent almost flat. There was a small tear in the fabric, right next to the outer framework, and a bracket/hinge that attached to the outer portion of the awning casing was broken. This one was all my fault, no one else to blame here. The good part is that Fiamma had, at that time, a very good online parts catalog and I was able to identify the broken piece. Fiamma insisted that I purchase through a dealer, wouldn't sell me the part directly. It took me better than a month to get the part but once it was in (not and easy job, held in place by a press fit) all is well. There is a small misalignment in the system that I haven't tried to figure out and adjust, it doesn't effect the functioning of the awning. The rain gutters straightened out fine. Now I'm really paraniod about rain, first drops and the awning is pulled in to no more than a foot or so extension. Since someone else has mentioned the mounting gizmos or feet that go on the side of the van I'll comment on them also. For a couple of years I didn't have them on the van but finally added them. They really make a difference when there is a wind or the potential for a wind. Not on the Fiamma but on othere awnings I've had the spikes/stakes holding down the feet of the legs to the ground pull out in a wind gust. Using the gizmos/mounting feet on the van eliminates this possibility. One thing though, on the 10" awning that extends out further than the 8" the awning cannot be extended all the way when using the mount gizmos, the legs just aren't quite long enough. But close enough that I use the mounts on the side of the van most of the time now. BTW, the white paint on the Fiamma gizmos wont take paint to match my rig so I have some ugly looking mounting feet on the side of the van. One of these days I need to pull them back off, strip them down to bare metal, and repaint.