Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 May 2007 17:54:47 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Water tank refill key?

The older type took a real key and there were many different ones. They have a real metal lock assembly inside. The later type are just for show and can be opened easily.

If the key is missing, the real lock kind can be removed from the filler once the filler is removed completely from the van. Then there is a small nut on the inside, held in place by a bent over metal tab. Move the tab out of the way and remove the nut. Then the filler plug will come out and can be carried in or mailed to a locksmith. Any locksmith can make a key for it. My local guy has done this for me several times on various older Westys. We used to have a very fast and reasonable list VW locksmith. Is Steve Sandlin still around?

Mark

neil wrote: > I managed to get my filler assembly off and sent it to a lock smith. > He managed, (though was some trouble for him) to make a key for it. > > Neil. > > > > On 5/17/07, PB <pbrattan@gmail.com> wrote: > >> I don't know if I want to use the water tank, but it seems that I >> can't open >> the water refill cap without a key. Where would I get one, or is there >> another "trick" to opening it. >> >> Patti >> '90 Westy automatic >> > > > -- > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil >