Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 May 2007 23:10:45 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: 102mph - Turbo vs. 6-cylinder

"A WRX could be done but the SVX six-cylinder has several advantages. - The SVX has more power and torque, and has it at the low end where most people with a vanagon can use it. "

You could hit the numbers you're after if the turbo is sized and implemented properly. And I mean to turbo a 2.2, not just a WRX install.

"The SVX costs the customer far less to install."

No idea if that's true, but if true is a good point. I can see the WRX being more, I can't see adding a turbo to a 2.2 being more, but if it's just a one off then yeah might not be worth it.

"The SVX is far less complex to install, and produces more power without the complexity of a turbocharging system."

True in one instance and not in another. More plumbing for sure, but the SVX has more moving parts. Besides a turbo system is pretty simple in the end, and you absolutely can't touch the efficiency of a turbo system...

"Because of the fuel tank location, the turbo is more difficult to place in a syncro without burning down the van."

mmm, I guess that's true, you have a bit of a fitment problem because of the downward facing exhaust ports, and if you relo the turbo the manifold volume goes up and response goes down... bummer.

"The SVX fits the engine compartment like a glove, and the 100 lb extra is not noticeable on a 5000 lb syncro westy."

I don't want an engine to fit like a glove, you can't do any maintenance on the finger or nail without pulling it out of the glove. I want as much extra space as possible to make my life under the decklid as easy and fast as possible. The engine in a 300z fits like a glove, but I'd rather eat glass than work on one ever again.

"The SVX is already very quiet on the highway using the 0.70 fourth, and has a pleasing exhaust note around town - it really reminds me of the sound of my old 73 Porsche 911."

Not sure what you consider quiet, but the SVX vans I've driven and riden in were not quiet. Acceptable to some and worth the power for many but definitely not quiet. There is no way the SVX would be quieter than a turbo motor either, the turbo plus the big honking stock muffler would make things nice and quiet. The sound thing is huge too, if you don't love the sound of your engine, you won't truly love the engine... there's another argument for the turbo(for me), to me few things beat the whine of a spooling turbo.

But actually Larry M and I are gathering DB and frequency data on interior noise levels for comparison from lot's of conversions and stockers, if we sent you the meter and a video camera could you collect some data from yours? The idea is to position the db meter in the same position in each van, and then videotape the operation of the meter while driving, you'll get a video log where you can sample the db levels and frequency to tie certain perceived noise levels to both the meter and also graph the recorded audio for frequency data to "see" what you're hearing and be able to compare. Actually if anyone else is game for this testing let me know, we'd like to grow a DB of Db's ha

Jim Akiba