Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 May 2007 10:58:07 -0400
From:         Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Anyone interested in my Vanangon? Automatic R&R
Comments: To: LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

Robert, <http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2 &Category_Code=VW-010kits>

I just did a van auto trans swap in about 8 lazy hours.. 6 would be more possible but I stretched it out to 4 2hr days. You would need to recruit the assistance of a helper and a few special tools to make the job easier.. (listed below)

The vanagon Automatic is the SAME as they have used from 73~92 in VW & Audi.. My rabbit cabriolet, My audi 5oooT, In my research there are 3 trans cases (id by 3 different part numbers) but any/all would work. Aircooled van did not have a provision for a H2o cooler.. Some swap in later H2o trans to add an Air to air cooler via the banjo fittings. You MAY have to PAY ATTENTION to the thrust washer/seal where the trans & diff mate and retain use of the vanagon one. Audi 5oooT automatics have 1 more clutch disc to handle the added torque/HP of the 170hp inline 5turbo. This fact is what keeps the rebuild parts relatively cheap/reasonable. You can get a totally refreshed VW auto trans section from German transaxle pretty reasonable (compared to 93+ VW autos $2,800~) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=239847

I haven't yet, but you should be able to pull ANY 92-down VW automatic from a U-pull it and use JUST the transmission section. Per Bently guide on reassembly in a weekend..

Tools I'd highly recommend. 1) Heater Hose pinch off clamps. $7 @ FLAPS you don't lose any of that contaminated coolant. 2) scribe/pick to clean out the CV bolts prior to WHACKING them with the PROPER bit on removal depending on PO care they could be 6mm allen or 12 point (triplesquare) 3) NAME BRAND VISE GRIPS.. For when the CV bolts refuse to comeout.. I prefer to go thru the bit motions, AND apply a TIGHT visegrip to assure success. 4) I use a monkey wrench on the axles to assist in holding if I have the parking brake off while CV bolt removal.

And YES you will be tempted to 1) replace the starter while it's out. *add a VW hot start relay kit NOW 2) R&R new CV boots and grease while they are undone.

Dan in NY w/ too many vanagons in the family to keep maintained.