Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 May 2007 18:39:24 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto conversion to Manual?

But ya see I don't do all my Westy driving in town, in fact most is "on the road". I just completed a 6000 mile trip from So Cal to Tennessee and back via the "scenic route" with my Westy Automatic. Yep, lost a starter just west of Nashville, reached under the seat/bed box for another, 45 minutes later I'm on my way. Who needs a push-start?

In the 10 years I've owned and driven my Westy Automatic, the "no push start" element hasn't figured as a disadvantage. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 5/18/07, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > > " You can't push-start an automatic" > > That's the deal killer right there. Fifteen miles up a logging road in BC > with a dead battery you most definitely do not want an automatic. > > I guess if you did all your driving in town the decision would be based on > different considerations, but in my part of the world I want a standard. > Really, I want a 5 speed, too. > > On 5/18/07, Jim Akiba <syncrolist@bostig.com> wrote: > > > > Also... and I know this sounds dumb but it's true, you can't push start > an > > automatic.. that ONE time you need it you won't be wishing. Although I > > also > > hear very good things about these vanagon auto trannies. Does anyone > know > > if > > you can add clutch disc to beef up the clutch packs in them? Someone > asked > > me this today and I don't know the answer. > > > > Jim Akiba > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Sudhir Desai [mailto:sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM] > > Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 2:16 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Auto conversion to Manual? > > > > I think Ron summed the "why" up nicely. > > /* > > > I am asking because manual Multi Vans are in short supply. I will > > > probably simply go with an Auto, though prefer Manual. I understand > > > there are pros/cons for Auto/Manual - mostly I enjoy the interaction > > > with the vehicle - shifting can be fun! > > */ > > > > Sudhir :D > > > > On 5/18/07, Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Why in the world would you convert an automatic to manual? Going to > do > > a > > > lot of off-roading? If not, in my own personal experience (over 10 > > years > > > w/Vanagons), I have found the automatic to be a far more reliable unit > > than > > > the manual trans. Both my GL and Westy are automatics and I LUV 'em. > > > > > > YMMV > > > -- > > > Jim Thompson > > > 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" > > > 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" > > > 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" > > > 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" > > > oldvolkshome@gmail.com > > > http://www.oldvolkshome.com > > > *********************************** > > > On 5/18/07, Ron LK Johnson <adhocMedia@comcast.net> wrote: > > > > > > > > Thanks to all who responded on the question of reducing a Full Westy > > > > to a Weekender (Multi Van). Out in left field question number two: > > > > is it possible to install a Manual transmission in a van originally > > > > set up for an Auto? Is there anything specific to the chassis that > > > > would make this especially difficult? I know a lot of changes would > > > > be needed - probably not worth the $$$. > > > > I am asking because manual Multi Vans are in short supply. I will > > > > probably simply go with an Auto, though prefer Manual. I understand > > > > there are pros/cons for Auto/Manual - mostly I enjoy the interaction > > > > with the vehicle - shifting can be fun! > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > Ron Johnson > > > > Portland, OR > > > > > > > > > -- > Jake > 1984 Vanagon GL > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > www.crescentbeachguitar.com