Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 May 2007 23:42:47 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: plugged catalytic converter on 1.9 wbx
Comments: cc: George Thorburn <thorgk@ACCESSCOMM.CA>

> From: George Thorburn <thorgk@ACCESSCOMM.CA> > Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 10:35:14 -0600 > > How much catalyst is there in a new converter? Is the metal housing > full?

The working part of the converter is usually a ceramic "brick" or "loaf" full of little air passages. The catalyst is on the surface of the ceramic, lining all the passages. The ceramic tends to be the same cross section throughout its length - if the housing tapers from the exhaust pipe to the body of the converter, there's often not any ceramic in the tapered part. Also, the ceramic usually doesn't come right out to the outer wall of the housing - it runs really hot and there is a little air space between the ceramic and the housing.

> If a new converter is full where did all the old catalyst go? Out > the exhaust?

The tiny pieces went right out the tail pipe. The bigger ones are probably in the muffler, like Jim Arnott said.

You might save your margarine tub full of converter guts (don't accidentally put it on your bread) and take it to the scrap metal place the next time you go. The guts are full of platinum and other goodies. The place where I drop off my aluminum cans to be assimilated (Borg Steel - no kidding, that's really the name of the place) has a piece of plywood on the wall with several shapes and sizes of catalytic converters screwed to it, with a dollar amount on each. I haven't been by there for a little while but I seem to remember something like US$5 or $10 for the bigger ones. I don't know if they will deal with catalyst guts in a tub but asking is free.

> Will a new converter last 22 years like the old one did?

Maybe. In the US, the federal government sets a minimum warranty length for catalysts and some of the other emissions stuff. I *think* it used to be 5 years/50,000 miles but has increased to 8 years/80,000 miles or possibly more. So a catalyst on a new car will be designed to last at least that long. I don't know if there are any longevity requirements for replacement catalysts.

Matt Roberds