Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 May 2007 19:28:24 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine rebuild/swap in an AT
Comments: To: Mark Hersh <markhersh@MSN.COM>

While the states have various levels of enforcement and laws regarding meeting EPA requirements, at the federal level, conversions, modifications, etc. of any emissions related equipment is not legal. Now, off of that band wagon.

The major issue of fuel economy is really the vehicle itself. Aero dynamics and the drive line layout are the biggest obstacles. A new, more modern engines may have some efficiency improvements but this is limited to 2-5% at best. Diesel may offer 20-30% due to the higher energy content and no vacuum loses, (Diesels do not have throttles), but the particulate and NOx emissions are nasty and will be regulated in the future most everywhere. We have Diesel emissions testing here in NY and even new Diesel cars are basically banned.

With that said, unless you are cobbling a conversion with some combination of used parts, and doing your own labor, you will never get a payback based on economy. The conversion justification needs to base on drive ability and desire for something unique. The other obstacle is the Vanagon auto tranny especially without a locking torque converter. There is always some slip which wastes power and makes heat.

The Vanagon auto tranny is a simple device and any competent tranny shop should be able to handle it. If it isn’t broke, maybe don’t fix it. Taken care of, it will give warning when the time is near. As for the engine, I really do not see the boxer as unreliable. Yes, it has some features that can make for a bad day but let's face it. A lot of cars break down. That is how al those towing companies stay in business.

If you do want a conversion, I am a bit partial to the subie. If fits and looks like it belongs. They work very well and you stay with the stock gearing and some taller tires.

Dennis