Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2007 01:09:15 -0700
From:         PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Newbie battery questions
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

I can't tell you how much I appreciate these explanations, because I actually understand them! I checked around this afternoon for a replacement aux battery that would fit in the cavity, but realized that there isn't an ideal solution, and the one I have is both a deep cycle and starting battery. At first I had no idea about the difference between a starting battery and a deep cycle, but from what I understand a deep cycle is preferable, as it can be drained without damaging it.

I really haven't tried out any of the camping equipment, yet, as I've been giving all my attention to the main battery. I did manage to locate the stereo kill switch, but I don't know if it kills the whole auxiliary battery, or just the stereo. I'll find out tomorrow. It really is a HUGE system. Tomorrow I'll see if I can disconnect it and still get a reasonable amount of sound. Patti ************************************************** On 5/15/07, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > > RE: You could, conceivably, connect all the extra Westy stuff (interior > lights, fridge, etc) to the main battery and it would work. > > Actually, the Westy comes from the factory with everything on the starting > battery. If an aux battery is added using the stock relay setup ONLY the > refrigerator is moved to the aux battery. All the interior lights, radio, > > and cigarette lighter remain on the starting battery UNLESS additional > wiring changes are made, changes not included in any of the usual > instructions for installing an aux battery whether with relay, isolator or > > separator. Most setups add additional 12v outlets that are attached to > the > aux battery so that the computers, DVD players, etc. only draw from the > aux. > > The instructions for moving the interior lights, etc to the aux battery > have > been post several times recently, check the archives. There is a > difference > in how it is done depending on the year. >