Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 May 2007 20:02:17 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front drivers heater - cut off valve installation guide

> Terry Kay offers such a valve which can be seen on this page (scroll > > down a little). It includes verbage on the installation: > > > Personally, I find $25 to be a little steep. If I were going that route, > I'd stop by the hardware store and buy a couple 5/8" barb fittings and a > valve and build it myself out of BRASS rather than plastic. I also would use > proper spring clamps rather than those horrid cheese grater ones he shows. > Seriously, what could that toy plastic valve and fittings be costing him, > three bucks maybe? You could definitely do better on your own. >

Got a pmail from Terry today regarding his valve. In his usual reasonable and diplomatic way, he informs me I should have known that his valve is a quality Parker synthetic valve with teflon seals and comes with full wrap around stainless clamps. This, I reckon, was supposed to be obvious from an unfocussed 320x240 picture showing the valve with two cheap cheese-grater clamps. So, despite a complete lack of useful information indicating such on his web page, it seems that his valve may indeed be entirely worth that $25 asking price.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"