Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 May 2007 00:10:02 -0400
From:         Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 102mph - Turbo vs. 6-cylinder
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca>

If you're going to use the 1.8T, why not wait just a few more months, and use the 2.0T. I think the next conversion I do to any car, I'll be using that engine (2.0T).

Sudhir

On 5/22/07, Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca> wrote: > Hi Erik and others, > > If i would have to choose a VW engine, it would be the 1.8T, i think it's > one of the best engine VW as ever did! A friend of mine, Peter, work as a > mechanic for a VW dealer, so last year i spent a day with him, he had to > work on a 1.8T (cooked turbo) wile his friend was working on a VW V6cyl, men > the guy working on the 6cyl was swearing all the time, but my friend did > not! nice design on the 1.8T! > > But, let's wait and see... today, i had to work on my friend Jetta, a 1.9 > TDI engine, we had the fuel pump fix (rebuilt-1000$) a few days ago and we > had to change many small coolant line under this leaky pump.. men ho men... > > Power! yea, this thread is funny, i know, i started it, but still. > i really think that 130-170 hp is more than enough for a camper, even too > much sometime. it's a big vehicle, my 85 is quite high, i would not like to > take a curve to fast when fully loaded (it happen yesterday), i think that > anything over 150hp is almost to much if you don't know how to use that power. > > The 2.5 Subi is a fine power plant, at least for me and for that kind of van > (what Vanaru don't know is that my engine is not stock no more... but that > is another story...OBD2 is nice for that!). I won't say it's a rocket ship, > far from it, my SV1000S-130hp-90+ of torque-350 pounds motorcycle IS a > rocket ship, so i know what power is. My friend GSX-1300 Busa - modified > turbo beast at 180hp-130pds of torque is a doubble rocket ship. But a > Vanagon... is still a camper van! > > I have never seen a 1.8T into the Vanagon engine bay? i would be curious > seing pictures. > > As for parts breaking (CV's, tranny), just use that power carefully! > everything should hold fine. > > Now, we need a bigger fuel tank! > > Ben > http://www.benplace.com/85rouge/vanaru63.jpg > > On Tue, 22 May 2007 13:36:02 -0700, Erik Lundberg <ealundberg74@YAHOO.COM> > wrote: > > >I know the Subaru has long been one of the primary > >engine swaps in the Vanagon, and for good reason too. > >They are strong at 130+ hp for the EJ22 and more for > >the newer engines, reliably run for hundreds of > >thousands of miles, and are clean burners. > > > >Still, there are other options that, while perhaps > >slightly more expensive, provide more horsepower and > >torque while additionally being reliable and clean. I > >have had a 1.8T in my 85 Westfalia for 5000 miles now, > >and in it's chipped form produces 215+ hp and 240+ > >ft-lbs of torque. It is clean burning, reliable, > >modern, Volkswagen, and fun to drive all in one > >package. I had a shop perform the install, and it > >cost roughly $1500 more than the EJ22 another shop was > >going to install for me, certainly worth it for the > >additional 70 horsepower. Just a consideration for > >some of you. > > > >Erik >