Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 May 2007 05:49:35 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Black oxide finish on stainless steel
Comments: cc: rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 22/05/2007 4:26:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

I am going to have metric stainless steel sheet meal screws coated with black oxide finish. This is for attaching the lower grill to the Vanagon.Got to have that black finish or the grill looks strange. Black oxide is the premier finish for metals exposed to the elements.It is top of the line for corrosion resistance and durability. These are going to be done with the hot tank method (the best and most expensive).. OEM screws are plain steel and just painted black.. Most are rusting a bit.

American sized screws wont fit. The #12 is just a tiny bit too small.The screw spins and spins after the screw seats. The #14 is a quantum leap of a size difference, and may actually bust the plastic nut on a hot day.Besiodes , the larger head looks like the buttons on Micky Mouse's shorts. The metric fits just right. Unfortunately, this metric equilivant of the American sized sheet metal screw is 3 times as expensive, and I have to get them from Switzerland. The cost difference for stainless steel machine screws or bolts. over American sized bolts is only about 30 percent..I would use the American size if they fit,but they do

I am about top push the buy button on these screws. When I get them from overseas, I have to send them off to Wisconsen for the black oxide. Then they send them back to me.If all goes well, I will have these for sale.They are the best, but also the most expensive.Infact,they will be the only ones avaliable anywhere, as far as I can tell. Not sure of the price, as I wont meet the minimum order for Black oxide and will have to spread this cost to the 300 or so, I get done. Any one interested in something like this for their super sharp Vanagon??.

Roger, this is a REALLY GOOD idea. I'm always searching for a screw for those pesky grill clips. Since VW decided to supply them without screws but the plastic push pin which I DO NOT LIKE ! I've been assembling the van for two days now that just got back from the paint ship using your newly acquired SS screw kits and I notice a few things that are lacking in your kits. Here are my recommendations: Three screws and flat washers for the gas filler neck to plastic surround. Screws, nuts and washers for the licence plate on the rear and front if needed. Here in Ontario we have front & rear plates. Each screw & nut assembly should have three flat washers, one for on top of the licence plate, one for between the plate and door and one for under the nut. Nut should be a Nylock nut. Bolts, nuts and flat washers to hold front & rear bumper to the body. Front requires two 8mm bolts with flat washers. Rear requires four 8mm bolts with nuts, flat and lock washers or Nylock nuts. Machine screws with Nylock nuts and two flat washers, one for inside the cap and one for under the nut, to hold the bumper end caps to the body. I like this way better than the OEM style sheet metal screw because the hole in the body is often to large for the sheet metal screw. The flat washer on the inside needs to be a fender washer style to offer good coverage of the possibly damaged metal. Two screws and washers to hold the cover of the sliding door track. Screws and washers to hold the headlight buckets in. Round headlights and rectangular headlights.

I may find more today !

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) )_ Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley_ Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _ BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007