Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 May 2007 10:33:22 -0600
From:         "John Connolly, Aircooled.Net" <john@AIRCOOLED.NET>
Subject:      Re: politics of e85 RE: E85 in vanagons
Comments: To: Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>

I have run E85 for almost 2 years in 2 of my cars, and have converted several so know a bit about it.

I DO know that the jury is still out on it actually being "cleaner". Yes it's cleaner THE WAY WE CURRENTLY MEASURE "EMMISIONS", but is it producing more bad stuff we do not measure yet? As usual the morons in charge will figure this out after spending hundreds of billions of $, and after a LOT of committments have been made towards the new fuel. Or maybe they are doing this on purpose so that they don't find out until it's too late, I don't know.

But I think it's a huge mistake to assume that ethanol is cleaner just because the way we measure the tailpipe says it's cleaner. This is an error because it is

1) Only measuring the tailpipe. What emmisions are dispersed in the mfg of the ethanol? and 2) what bad stuff is coming out the tailpipe we aren't measuring yet?

John Aircooled.Net Inc. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Akiba" <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 3:53 PM Subject: politics of e85 RE: E85 in vanagons