Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 May 2007 09:52:28 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: 102mph - Turbo vs. 6-cylinder
Comments: To: Bostig Engineering <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>

Jim, you don't need to convince me about how expensive VW engine are, or how complicated is their design. I will NEVER buy a VW car in my life, i said car. And of course, i will NEVER put a VW engine/conversion in my Van (yea yea, i hear you purist VW fanatic :-) , i was just asking about how it look. Last week i helped a friend, he had a 280k miles Honda Accord, we had to do the head gasket, i'm not even shure i had to clean my hands after that easy job. Now, that IS AN engine! 180psi on each cylinder after a head gasket job, head NOT warped. This engine is probably good for anoter safe 100k miles. And it's NOT a diesel, and it's economical!

Now, i have to work on another friend DIRTY TDI at 220k miles..... pffff.

About our (i should now say "your"...) beloved Wasser engine, yesterday i had to do a water pump on a nice 85, i rarely do those with the engine still in the engine bay... it took me a good 4.5 hours, yea, why? because every darn bolt broke! i had to change most metal cooling line except one (wait, my story is NOT finish), i also (of course) change the 2 small conector hoses, left head and the joint between the 2 heads/metal coolant line... so back to the one i did NOT change!!! that small elbow on the right head! this morning when i came to the shop, my floor was full of coolant, about 4 gallons on the floor! guess what broke /leak in the night, that elbow metal tube, i had to play around that one to put the new small cooling line/junction (see picture), of course, it was so thin (rusty) that i probably scratch it with something and it broke. http://www.benplace.com/85rouge/rouge112.jpg (on right)

So now, maybe some will understand my engine reseal/engine conversion page. When you put your fingers in a wasser, be ready that everything can fall appart. I just told that guy that he should sell his van or put a good 3K$ on it.

Ben