Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 May 2007 10:34:44 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stove top grills?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net>

Maybe you never cooked anything on a gas stove before Don. :)

ALL the valves on gas stoves, new & old, European & North American, (My BBQ too) operate in that fashion, possibly to help with the lighting procedure.

On 5/23/07, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > I guess Helmut and Franz, over dere in Westphalia, never cooked any > strudle in the engineering department while designing the cook-top..They > certainly did a very fine job on most of the rest of the Westy interior, > though. The stove burner knob settings are a bit weird, what with the > "low" > setting being 'past' the high settings. I bet, over the life of the > design > that feature has been responsible for some blown up vans..People turning > the > flame control knob and seeing the flame diminish..thinking "Hey, it's at > the > stop, it will go off, or it is off.".and closing down the top with the gas > still on "low".. > I really like the Dometic propane operation "indicator" on my particular > fridge...It has a small analog 'scale' with a needle that moves across the > face of a dial near the Gas On control knob. If the fridge doesn't fire, > the needle doesn't move..If it doesn't stay lit, the needle falls back out > of the "green zone"..(Hey, wonder if that is where the Gov. got the term > "Green Zone" for the little portion of Iraq that is usually > operative?...Bush's war seems to be similar to trying to light a > Dometic..."Click, click, click, click...Look...nothing"..Repeat.. > endlessly..) > Anyhow, that type analog indicator, I've not seen on any other > Dometic..they mostly have those crappy tiny little windows that have a > prism > or a mirror to let you "see" the flame...down on your knees, with the > window > shaded by your hands, peering in there....Hate that... > Don Hanson > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Alistair Bell" <albell@uvic.ca> > To: "Don Hanson" <dhanson@GORGE.NET> > Cc: "vanagon vanagon" <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:50 AM > Subject: Re: Stove top grills? > > > > I got some Italian units from a fellow list member. They are simple > > wire things, sort of a rounded 4 point star. work well. See here: > > > > http://www.members.shaw.ca/bilbo/Mikevan.html > > > > (notice the perforated kind too) > > > > the other kind, sheet metal VW logo can be seen here: > > > > http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/mods11.html > > > > the word is that the VW logo warps though :( > > > > Alistair > > > > > > '82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94 > > http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/ > > > > > > On 23-May-07, at 7:30 AM, Don Hanson wrote: > > > > On the sink/stove unit I have, the two burner grills seem pretty > > minimal. I think these are stock, but a lot of my small cooking > > stuff won't sit on the grilles, because there isn't enough support. > > The center 'hole' is too large.. Anyone else find this? Anyone have > > a fix that is easy? I guess I could cut a couple of wire donuts from > > some S.S. mesh or something.. > > Don hanson > > >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com