Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 May 2007 18:04:26 -0700
From:         Dave Mari <vw4x41987@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: [syncro.org] Syncro propshaft vibration mystery
Comments: To: Richard A Jones <jones@colorado.edu>

Hi Richard,

I think you have isolated it down to the front Diff and or VC and axles. To isolate the front end items you could try the following:

- verify that there no play in the front wheel with them in the air - verify Diff oil level - swap out one axle at a time with Know good ones - run with the axles removed and only the stub assy in the front wheels - remove and or replace VC

I find that the stock syncro came with the .5 inch of vertical difference between the front Diff and rear Trans and my stock and go-westy drive shaft work find if all other items are in good working condition. I had a front axle assy act similar to this.

Best of luck, Dave

I need help finding the source of a vibration in my '87 Syncro. It started coming home from the Arizona Bus Roundup in '06. It feels like driving on the "wake up" strip along the edge of the lane, but it starts at 25, fades at 55+, comes back at 70+. So 60-65 is a sweet spot with no vibration. I think it comes from the front, since I feel it in the seat, floorboard and the steering wheel.

It is not wheel speed, it is faster. Two 5-tire rotations and wheel rebalance show it is not tires/wheels. All half- axles appear good with no CV problems.

Removal of the propshaft eliminates the vibration. But two known-good propshafts, one a brand-new GoWesty, show it is not the propshaft itself.

I put in 6 new rubber mounts on the front diff and made a laser alignment tool to check the alignment of the tranny and the front diff. Before, there was a very small horizontal misalignment. Now there is none. Vertical difference is 8.5 degrees--not very much. Front diff points down 2.5 degrees; tranny down 6 degrees.

Mounts and alignment made no difference in the vibration. Now I am stumped and don't know where to look or what to do next. Any ideas? Any experience with a problem like this? Help!

Pictures of the alignment tool I made (simple) and its use are at http://jones. colorado. edu/jones/ SyncroAlign

[BTW--Jorick Vandaele's post of May 9th on the syncrolist citing http://www.baileymo rris.co.uk is very valuable. Under Technical Info are some pages that show why the drive/driven have to be aligned in two planes and can handle difference in the third.]

Richard Boulder

__._,_.___ Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar Share and view Syncro videos at http://www.youtube.com/group/syncro

Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity 1New Members Visit Your Group SPONSORED LINKS Volkswagen parts Volkswagen Volkswagen beetle Volkswagen new beetle E-mails Health Zone Look your best! Groups to help you look & feel great. Yahoo! News World News Get the latest world news now Sitebuilder Over 380 Templates Build and custo- mize your web site. __,_._,___

____________________________________________________________________________________Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7